ERC Project / HRP-IAEA
Living with Radiation – the Role of the International Atomic Agency in the History of Radiation Protection
HRP-IAEA – research focus
Despite the establishment of technical radiation standards, the harmful effects of radiation exposure continue to be a major issue in the nuclear world. Obviously, radiation protection is not a strictly techno-scientific issue.
Living with Radiation turns our attention to nuclear diplomacy as a means for understanding how our scientific knowledge about radiation protection has been shaped by diplomatic, social, economic, and political concerns. Our research marks a diplomatic turn in the history of science.
What we do
- study the historical role of the IAEA in shaping radiation protection
- explore societal concerns around radiation protection
- analyze the multiplicity of nuclear diplomacies
- prepare policy recommendations on science diplomacy
Final ERC results will affect those who
- design and implement radiation protection policies,
- deal with radioactive materials both in nuclear industries and in the medical sector,
- encounter radiation in their daily lives—as most of us do.